Good day! Are you planning a vacation to Sydney, Australia any time soon? Sydney is a wonderful place to visit for its nature parks and shopping streets. It also has elegant museums as well as rustic ones. Sydney is a place where you come for its beaches but will soon learn to love their dining places and the Aussie culture itself.
Important facts about Sydney, Australia:
Currency: AUD/Australian Dollar.
Credit Cards and Banks: ATMs are widely available throughout the city, with many establishments accepting Visa or Mastercard. AMEX is also accepted in some larger retail stores and shops.
Climate: Sydney enjoys mild winters from June to August and warm summers from November until February.
Useful factors to consider for first-time travellers to Sydney:
1. Prohibited/Illegal Goods for Entry – you have to familiarize yourself with the prohibited items when you enter Australia, such as meat, raw food, fruits, and even aeroplane food.
2. OPAL Cards – OPAL is the rechargeable public transport card in Sydney that is used in ferries, buses, trains, and light rail systems. It is important to remember tapping in when entering the vehicle and tapping out when exiting or else you will be charged the maximum amount for your trip. However, do not worry if you haven’t purchased your OPAL card yet because you still can use your credit card to tap in and out.
3. Wi-Fi and SIM Card – for the social media aficionados out there, staying connected to your Facebook and Instagram while travelling is important, but know that Sydney does not have many Wi-Fi hotspots. For this reason, the best thing to do is to get your sim cards with Wi-Fi/LTE at the airport before you exit so that you can still post your adventures and share your wonderful photographs with your family and friends.
4. Shopping and GST Refund – most shops in Sydney close early. Generally, shops close at 5 pm; however, there are night shopping options that are open till 9 pm on Thursdays. It is also important to note that if your total purchase is 300AUD or more in a single store, you are entitled to a GST refund at the airport, provided that you have the original receipts.
5. Art Galleries – if you are an art lover, make sure to visit the art galleries in Sydney. The Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Aboriginal Art Galleries, Badger and Fox Gallery, are several of the galleries that you can visit. If you want to see the works of Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet, Vincent Van Gogh, and other renowned Australian artists, then the Art Gallery of New South Wales should be in your list of galleries to explore.
6. Walking Tours – going on a walking tour in Sydney in the early hours of the day is highly recommended. They have tours at 10.30 am, 2.30 pm, and 6 pm that last around two to three hours each. It covers several tourist spots in Sydney, and it helps you plan your itinerary for the day. Both Sydney Sights and The Rocks tours are free, but you may give a tip to your tour guides as you deem worthy. Most tours in Sydney charge tourists at least 30AUD, so going on the Walking Tour is a viable option if you’re on a budget.
Before your trip to Sydney, you have to research more about the country, culture, accommodations, and activities. Doing so will help you have a seamless experience and enjoy a memorable holiday.
If you are looking for holiday packages in Sydney, contact Travel Time today! We’re happy to help.